Collection of Personal Information
The Oral Health CRC only collects personal information which is necessary in connection with its business purposes. The purposes for which the Oral Health CRC collects personal information include:
- Responding to issues addressed by an individual to the CRC
- Facilitating the conduct of business transactions and operations between the CRC and the individual and;
- Providing a news subscription service to individuals.
The specific types of personal information collected and used by the CRC varies according to the purpose for collection. However, in general this information includes:
- Individuals' names and contact details (e.g. telephone number, fascimile number and email address);
- Individuals' areas of interest.
The Oral Health CRC collects most of the personal information it requires directly from the relevant individual by way of forms completed by the individual. The CRC may also collect information from individuals by telephone, in person, by its representatives, or by written correspondence.
The Oral Health CRC does not actively collect sensitive personal information about individuals. However, if sensitive information is collected, the CRC will first obtain the consent of the relevant individual, or otherwise ensure that the collection is in accordance with the NPPs.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
The Oral Health CRC may use and disclose an individual’s personal information for the primary purpose for which the information was collected; reasonably expected secondary purposes, where the individual has consented, and otherwise in accordance with the NPPs, including:
- To provide information to members of the Oral Health CRC;
- Where required or authorised by law; to investigate and resolve complaints concerning the provision of services by the Oral Health CRC or others associated with the Oral Health CRC and;
- To provide individuals with updates and other information from time to time about the Oral Health CRC's goods, services and activities. Individuals may notify the Oral Health CRC at any time if they do not wish to receive this information.
The Oral Health CRC will only transfer personal information outside of Australia in accordance with the NPPs including:
- With the individual's consent;
- Where the Oral Health CRC is under a contractual obligation (with the individual or another party) to do so, or there is some other benefit to the individual; or
- Where the Oral Health CRC is satisfied that the recipient of the information will uphold principles for the fair handling of personal information, and will not deal with the personal information in a manner inconsistent with the NPPs and this Privacy Statement.
Data Quality, Storage and Security
Personal information is held in a combination of electronic and hard copy records stored securely at the Oral Health CRC’s facilities. Access to individuals’ personal information is restricted to the Oral Health CRC’s management personnel.
Access and Correction
Individuals may obtain access to the information held about them by the Oral Health CRC by written request.
In accordance with the NPPs, the Oral Health CRC may deny requests for access to information in certain circumstances, including where:
- Providing access would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of another individual;
- In the Oral Health CRC's opinion, the request is frivolous or vexatious;
- Providing access to the information would be unlawful, or the law permits the Oral Health CRC to deny access or
- The information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings, or would prejudice the Oral Health CRC's commercial negotiations with an individual.
The Oral Health CRC will correct any personal information which it becomes aware in accurate, incomplete or out of date.
The Oral Health CRC may review and update this Privacy Statement from time to time to reflect changes in the law or the Oral Health CRC’s business practices and procedures.